Sunday, January 8, 2012

for the love of brownies

Besides my unfailing love for Pepsi (as you read last week), those who really know me know that I have another true love. It's brownies. Especially "my" brownies, which I of course make from scratch. I have a killer recipe that is pretty much unbeatable.

However, I have been known to mess them up a time or two. Tonight was one of those times. Bummer. I was really looking forward to overindulging myself in the yumminess of brownies. Really, I have made these loads of times, so you would think that I would never break the cardinal commandments of brownie making:

#1
Thou shalt not use a box.
Some box brownies are "alright," but the best ones are from scratch.
#2
Thou shalt not melt your butter in the microwave.
It can't be frozen, but it also can't be accidentally melted in the microwave either.
#3
Thou shalt use the best cocoa.
Sorry, but Hershey's is the best.
#4
Thou shalt not over mix.
Overmixing brownie batter makes the brownies cakey. Not fudgey and ooey-gooey, like they ought to be.
#5
Thou shalt use a Pampered Chef stone.
I know, I'm a Pampered Chef brat, but they really bake the best.
#6
Thou shalt not overbake.
The center can't be batter, but it has to be a little wiggly.
#7
Thou shalt use frosting.
Of course brownies need frosting! The only time a brownie doesn't need it is when you are eating one with ice cream and hot fudge.
#8
Thou shalt not put the frosting on prematurely.
I don't know why. Trust me. It just makes them weird. Make sure the brownies are completely cooled.
#9
Thou shalt lick the brownie batter clean off the bowl
...and spatula...and Kitchen Aid mixer thing. Salmonella? psh. I think someone made that up.

and finally...
#10
Thou shalt not let Danny cut out his own brownie.
If you do, then this is what will happen - see photo below. (Actually, I'm a little proud—at least he used a spatula, and furthermore, he knows the center is the best part. I taught him well.)

4 comments:

Deven and Keri said...

Those look delicious... We should make those when we get together!

Anita said...

That last photo was hilarious. It is such a Danny thing to do. Now I need to go make some brownies.

Anonymous said...

yummy! So I need this recipe for these amazing brownies! Also, Danny is not to come to my house...because...the middle is MINE!

lizlarry.anderson said...

So, what's the recipe? I have yet to taste a homemade brownie recipe that I like as well as the box!

And don't be upset with Danny - he's pretty smart - I'd totally do the same thing:) The middle is THE BEST!!!